Benefits of Paper Bag & How To Make It? – Activity For Kids
Every year on July 12, World Paper Bag Day is celebrated to make people aware of environmental debris and encourage the usage of environmentally friendly alternatives. Reusable bags, which are easy to recycle, will help minimize plastic garbage, which takes years to degrade and pollutes the environment. Childhood is the right time to inculcate healthy habits in kids and early childhood teaching methods are the best ways possible of doing the same. Making a paper bag can be a great learning activity for kids and what better day than World Paper Bag Day to conduct it.
How to make a paper bag? – An engaging activity for kids
To make a paper, first of all, one needs to collect all the needed materials. Newspapers, colored papers, and other media could be utilized for this purpose. You are free to use whichever paper you like. A scissor, ruler, pencil, glue, colors, ribbons, and some other decorating things are also required. Preschools generally have these materials as all of them are commonly used during any activity for kids.
10 Steps to Make a Paper Bag
- Cut the piece of paper to 9.5 x 15 inches with a ruler (or 24 x 38 cm). You can even decorate the paper with the play school teaching methods if you wish.
- To assemble the bag, position the decorated side of the piece of paper face down in front of you. Make certain that the orientation is landscape.
- Fold the paper’s bottom (long) edge up 2 inches (or 5 cm). Unfold it after making a sharp crease.
- Fold the paper in half to find the center points and make two markings (up and down)
- Make two extra points at the crease after folding the short side to the centerline. Repeat for both short sides. You should now have a total of 6 points.
- Fold the right and left sides of the paper to the center line. Glue them together where they overlap.
- Turn the bag over so that the glued side is on the bottom and the open side is facing you.
- Fold the creases on the long sides inwards to give the appearance of the bag’s sides. Try folding them in half (3.8cm)
- Step 3 involved folding the bottom of the paper. Find the crease and fold it up around 4 inches or 10 cm.
- When you open the bottom, the two inward-facing wrinkles will pop open. Fold these down so that they appear like two triangles with a rectangle in the center.
- Fold and attach the top and bottom of this rectangle to the center of the triangles. It should now appear to be at the bottom of your bag.
- You are now free to open your bag. Make four holes on the top of your bag with a punch and thread the rope or ribbon through them to produce your handles.
Your paper bag is complete.
Why should we use Paper Bags over Poly Bags?
Paper bags should be preferred over polythene bags since they are biodegradable and recyclable, whereas polythene bags are not biodegradable and are damaging to animals. Humans, plants, and the environment all benefit from it. Polyethylene, often called polythene or polyethylene, is among the world’s most widely used plastics. Polyethylenes are additional polymers that typically have a linear structure. These thermoplastic materials are mostly used in packaging. The top preschools in India need to play a major role in educating kids about it.
Bachpan Play School, one of the top preschools in India took an initiative on the occasion of World Paper Bag Day. The team conducted a paper bag-making activity that comprised a massive 1.5 lakh students who participated and made a variety of paper bags. They also educated them about the importance of using paper bags for them and the environment as well. It is obvious that when kids are engaged in such activities regularly they will learn its positives easily too. Bachpan is known for taking such initiatives as part of their play school teaching methods. It enhances the creativity of kids and gives them a lot of options to learn and grow as well.